Tuesday, March 17, 2009

New Moms Are Highly Intuitive

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."
–Albert Einstein

Yesterday, I sat down in a doctor's waiting room next to a new mom, whose infant's carrier was in the seat next to her. The newborn in the carrier was crying so desperately that I was near tears myself. I told myself that her crying infant was none of my business, and I watched the new mom grow increasingly nervous. Her eyes glanced around the doctor's office, as she felt the other patients be uncomfortable with the wailing child. She rocked the carrier, hoping to calm the baby. She covered the carrier with a thin blanket, hoping he might sleep. Nothing she did calmed the baby. Thirty minutes passed, and my inner voice was screaming in my head to guide this new mother. I had to act on my intuition.

"Excuse me," I said. "Can I hold your baby for you? I'm not sure what your parenting philosophy might be, but your baby really needs something, and his crying is getting desperate!"

"Oh thank you for saying that! I've been dying to pick him up, but this book I read said that I give in to him now, I'll spoil him and have difficulties for the rest of his life. But I'm his mother, and I'm withering inside because I want to cuddle him and feel his warm skin next to mine."

"Look, I don't know what book you're reading, but toss it in the trash. The entire science of bonding with babies starts with your physical, chemical connection to your child. He needs you. If your maternal intuition says to pick him up and cuddle, please do so. He won't learn that his world is safe without you and your loving touch. This is probably the best time in your life for following your intuition with your own child. Trust yourself!"

No comments:


Tara Paterson

Tara Paterson

A certified coach for parents of intuitives and the co-author of the book- Raising Intuitive Children (New Page Books, '09), Tara Paterson is raising 4 highly intuitive children with her husband. She is a corporate spokesperson, a syndicated columnist, parent advisor, and author of 100 plus parenting and spiritual articles.

Tara is available for private coaching, presentations, lectures, and workshops. Contact Tara at parentcoach@justformom.com or visit JustForMom.com